Saturday 19 April 2014

A Magical Story

In my youth my mother read to me a captivating book called Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie. In recent years I have tried to recover my copy of it with no luck. It was probably borrowed from the library. Some of its magical moments which played on words and beautiful imagery have haunted me ever since (In a good way).
I was only a few weeks ago when I was having a bad day after being at the endodontist and being told I need a root canal (yay) that I headed into Galway's Charlie Byrne's, the best second hand bookshop I've ever been in. It was in my gloomy daze that I happened upon a play adaptation of this fond memory.
Rushdie's tale brings advanced intellect and philosophy to the level of children. There is value in this story about the value of stories for all. It is a must read. It's heart-warming and it really gets you thinking.



I have been so inspired that I've decided to discuss this play and how I'd use Lecoq techniques (They just fit the fantastical world) to perform it for my final essay of second year.

No comments:

Post a Comment